Research and Media Network

Bringing people together to improve communication of research findings

This network was set up at the 5th WCSJ in Melbourne in April 2007. The next conference will be in London in 2009. I am working with the London conference team so would like to use this space to get suggestions of what the conference should include. All ideas are welcome.

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mike - it's very exciting that London will be hosting the WCSJ in 2009. I would love to some sessions on evidence preferably answering questions such as:

THE BALANCE OF EVIDENCE:
- What can be considered reliable scientific evidence?
- How best can writers ensure a balanced argument, reflecting all the available evidence?
- When are accurate details important? And when should readability take priority?

It would also be good to see a session on science policy, covering questions like:
- How do policy-makers use science?
- Where does the media come in?
- Do science journalists have a responsibilty to use their expertise to cover policy stories involving science?
Dear Mike,

The last conference that was held in Melbourne but unfortunately I did not get an opportuinity to participate even the organizer invited me to apply. I read from various sources about participants large numbers of participants from developed nations rather than developing and poor nations and only international journalists not a local (like national level science journalists who has been writing different language I mean not an english language). I want to ask one question, is this kind of conference only for international science journalists? Please kindly remove my confusion. In my opinion opportuinity can also play to encourage them who are involveing in local level (National Level) .It is the responsibility to identify to them by the organizer, isn't it?

Regards,
Kattel, Nepal
I agree with this ...there are definitely many more journalists from the developed rather than the developing world. The only way this can be offset so as to achieve a better balance would be by making more travel grants available to journalists from the developing world. Most of us are unable to meet the the travel and accomodation expenses to attend such a meet. I wish the organisers would do something about this. Besides, first-time participants ought to be encouraged too, rather than those who have been repeatedly making it.
There are new dimensions to the issues of stoppage of flaring of gas in Nigeria.It was initially expected that government would enforce the strict adherence to the 2008 January stop to gas flaring deadline.

But that was not to be.It was a task difficult to achieve.Excuses were accepted from gas flaring companies of their inability to meet the expected deadline.

Now there are indications that with an overbearing international pressure, the blacket cover on extention of the deadline would not suffice anymore.

Those who do flare gas would have to pay commensurate compensation to affected communities.

But this could be difficulty to achieve, given the petroleum politics and its attendant environmental problems that hardly receive reguisite attention.
Hi Mike,
I speak as a radio journalist although i do a lot of online writing. Given the type of media in Africa, especially in East Africa where the reading culture is still low and the cost of papers only afforded by few, i wish you considered a reasonable number of Radio reporters this time round. It is easy for someone to write in the papers because anyone can read the article. But for radio there is always an extra mile to bring issues down to the ears.I wonder how many Radio journalists attended the last conference.
Good luck.
The conference should also consider what justification there is for less than one cent be charged as fine for one thousand cubic feet of gas by oil companies in Nigeria.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Matthew Wright.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service