Bringing people together to improve communication of research findings
POSITION # 11-184 (R)
(INTERNATIONALLY RECRUITED POSITION)
TITLE: COMMUNICATIONS DIVISION DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: SHENGGEN FAN, DIRECTOR GENERAL
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, DC
FLASA STATUS: EXEMPT
POSTING DATE: AUGUST 11, 2011
CLOSING DATE: SEPTEMBER 11, 2011 OR UNTIL FILLED
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a Division Director for a full-time, threeyear, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment in its Communications Division. The successful candidate will provide intellectual and managerial leadership to a professional team handling various aspects of the communications function and will develop, refine, and enhance the implementation of IFPRI’s overall communications strategy. The Communications Director will work closely with the Director General and the senior management team on global, strategic, and innovative communications approaches and priorities, contributing to IFPRI’s mission of ending hunger and reducing poverty through the application of cutting-edge communication concepts and delivery. This position is based at IFPRI headquarters in Washington, D.C.
• Develop, implement, and monitor Institute-wide effective and innovative communications strategies to increase the impact of IFPRI’s research on reducing hunger and poverty. Identify IFPRI core messages and ensure consistency of messages across the Institute.
• Closely follow external environment with regard to public opinion/trends and significant public policy issues, to propose and develop communications solutions that support IFPRI’s mission and maintain the Institute’s comparative advantage.
• Provide overall direction and management of the various functions within the Communications division: branding and visual arts, internet and social media, library and knowledge management, media relations, policy seminars, and publications.
• Develop and oversee implementation of the annual Communications Division plan and budget.
• Work with IFPRI project leaders and external stakeholders to define and coordinate unified project and region-specific communications strategies and activities and ensure maximum synergies.
• Support the IFPRI-led CGIAR research programs and coordinate with the CGIAR on mutual and relevant communications activities.
• Minimum of master’s degree in communications, economics, international relations, or other relevant field, or equivalent.
• Minimum of 7-10 years’ demonstrated successful experience managing the overall communications function of an international organization or company. Substantive experience with a research organization is highly desirable.
• Demonstrated experience successfully leading, managing, and developing a multicultural team of communications professionals in diverse functional areas to meet the needs of a growing organization’s mission.
• Demonstrated communications and marketing expertise with a solid foundation in successful negotiating techniques and significant professional writing and editing experience.
• Demonstrated ability in coaching senior leaders to become effective spokespeople for an organization’s mission and programs.
• Demonstrated experience in developing innovative approaches and willingness to take calculated risks in implementing them.
• Ability to travel, as necessary, several times per year.
IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). IFPRI’s mandate is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with an emphasis on ensuring food security for the poorest and most vulnerable.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing-country professionals to apply.
IFPRI Employees: Please send cover letter and resume – via email – to Alma López.
External Candidates: Go to www.ifpri.org. Click on “Careers” and “Other” to link to Position # 11-184 Communications Division Director, COM. Please complete online application, including a complete curriculum vitae and a detailed letter of interest. Also complete section requesting three references.
For more information on IFPRI, visit our website at www.ifpri.org
Add a Comment