Research and Media Network

Bringing people together to improve communication of research findings

I regularly cover health and well I find it interesting. However I find difficulties when dealing with some complex scientific issues in some research papers.
I don't know if a person without much scientific background would be practice science journalism quite well.
Any ideas?

Views: 172

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rosebell: The trick is being able to find something interesting in science article to communicate. It is not necessary to be a scientist to do science journalism. Of course making complex issues more accessible is one the key roles of journalists, for which they are hated and liked by many at the same time. Which brings me to a question: how is the Uganda media covering the debate over the new hydro power plant? This forum might be interested in the details of the debate. Calestous
Hey, Juma thanks for the message. Well the Bujagali power plant is something Ugandans as well the media have come to accept. The problem is there's a lot of power cuts, unbelievable cuts so people think it should go ahead. The Aga Khan owns some arm of the media, daily monitor and NTV, East African and he's also the contractor so that leaves government owned New Vision but even the other media seems to have seen the project as a savior.
The project will be launched on Tuesday.
Rosebell: Thank you for this important information. African economic growth is generally underpowered but large projects are often the subject of extensive debate. What is important is to be sure to have full information. Here is an example of how partial information can lead to misleading conclusions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4qs_21dyW8
Hi Rosebell,

A science reporter does not necessarily have a grounding in science, provided this is compensated by some patient reading on complex scientific subjects one is supposed to cover. After all, a science reporter cannot be well-versed with all branches of science, even if he or she wants to be. After all, he or she has to cover subjects ranging archaeology to atmospheric sciences and from materials science to missile technology. But certainly, an insight into methods of science and rigour and passion with which scientific research is conducted would be of great help.

Cheers
Jayan
Hi Rosebell, I think you need some basic background in science, but you can go and talk with scientifics and ask them to explain you the things you dont understand so you can explain this to another people. In my experience it`s very important to do it always, son you cant avoid misundestandings even on things you believe are clear.
Dear Rosebell,

I do not think you should find any difficulty when covering women's health, since as a woman , your personal experience can help you a lot. But even otherwise, why don't you ask the scientists or researchers concerned to explain in detail the terms you need to know? You can be honest in explaining your problem, and the need to explain things to your readers. After all, isn't it the scientist's duty to reach out to the general public too? You are only helping him in the task, right?

Hi

I think a person without much scientitific background can practice science journalism better than others. The first main reason is that the person will not use any jargon while presenting information, secondly the person would have interviewed and researched the topic well, thirdly it will be well presented because it has been understood well by the presenter.

This goes without saying that most of the scientitific papers are complicated and not easy to understand. I have addressed this in one of my queries which you may like to see.

Regards

While dealing with science issues, a person should be having a scientific temperament. a basic knowledge of science and also some  good communication skills.Some issues like misrepresentation and false information have to be dealt with seriously.

RSS

About

© 2021   Created by Matthew Wright.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service